Sunday, October 28, 2018

The Statistics of Black Beans

Black Bean Pod from my Garden

After I harvested the black beans from my garden, I thought it would be interesting to do a little statistical analysis with them.

I grew a total of six bean plants, picked 157 bean pods, and collected 525 beans. Their weight was 3.7 ounces and the volume 1/2 cups. This means black bean plants on average produced 26.16 pods each and 95.83 beans each. On average weigh, each bean weighs 0.18 grams.

The minimum number of beans per pod was zero and the maximum was seven. But not all possible numbers of beans per pod showed up equally.


The mean number (the average) of beans per pod pod was 3.66. The median number (the number appearing in the middle when the numbers are sorted in numerical order) was four. The mode (the number of beans of beans per pod appearing most often) was five.

So what did I learn? I produced 34 cents of black beans. I need to water more in order to produce an acceptable amount of black beans next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment