Saturday, October 31, 2009

Near Space Horizon

(Click on image to see a larger image)

This is my first attempt to limb sound from near space. These images were taken every 10,000 feet and stitched together. I tried to select the best, where the camera was pointed in the same direction. As you can see, they don't all line up properly, but it is a start.

In the future, I'll fly a sun sensor to let the flight computer align the camera properly. I also need to calibrate the field of view of the camera so the horizons can be properly aligned in the images (the horizon is depressed in near space - my photo montage assumes the horizon is not).

I'll put an article together for Nuts and Volts on this line of work. I assume it will be useful for detecting haze layers, including volcanic ash, in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment